National Archery in the Schools ProgramAt the American Leadership Wildnerness School, eight hours of class time are dedicated to National Archery in the Schools Program Certification NASP. This class provides instruction in how to teach using NASP methods and equipment. At the end of the session each educator is certified as a NASP instructor. Educators learn about organizing a NASP or Community Archery Program in their school or community. The goal is to increase the number of youth participating in archery nationwide. SCIF and NASP are making history through this partnership – AWLS is the single location producing the most NASP certified instructors. For more information about NASP, visit: http://archeryintheschools.org.
Outdoor Writers of America: Norm Strung Youth Writing ContestFoster the next generation of outdoors communicators - Youth entering this contest may someday become professional outdoor communicators. Students share hunting, fishing and other outdoor experiences through poetry and prose writing categories: Senior Poetry and Prose(Grades 9-12) orJunior Poetry and Prose(Grades 6-8). First, second, and third place winners in each category.
1. Deadline for receiving entries is March 16, 2013. Send entries to OWAA Headquarters, 1221 Hickory St., Ste. 1, Missoula, MT 59801. Mark the lower left-hand side of the envelope with the division for which the entry is intended (˵Junior˶ or ˵Senior˶), and for the category (˵Prose˶ or ˵Poetry˶).
2. The work must have been published in a newsletter, newspaper, magazine, literary collection, etc. during 2011. The publication can be school or club related, or commercial.
3. The topic must be outdoor oriented (hiking, camping, boating, fishing, hunting, nature, ecology, canoeing, etc.). Any prose or poetic form is acceptable.
4. Entrants must submit one original published copy (tear sheet) of the entry. The tear sheets must contain the publication name and date. A cover sheet needs to include the entrantˊs address and grade in school at the time of publication. If these criteria are not met, the entry will be disqualified.
5. Students may enter as many pieces of writing as they wish; however, each student will be limited to one prize per annual contest.
6. OWAA will announce the winners at its annual conference. OWAA reserves the right to reprint the winning articles in its monthly publication.
National Shooting Sports Foundation
The SCI Foundation AWLS program recognizes The National Shooting Sports Foundation as a resource for information and instructional materials about hunting and shooting sports. These materials are distributed to American Wilderness Leadership School participants.
Federal Premium has partnered for many years with the SCIF American Wilderness Leadership School. Federal Premium education materials are a valuable resource in the AWLS Educator Workshops.Each year Federal Premium donates shooting supplies to AWLS in Jackson, Wyoming. Visit: www.federalpremium.com/hunters_education/educational_materials.aspx
The Salvation Army OutdoorsSCI Foundation and The Salvation Army Outdoors (TSAO) have partnered to bring conservation education into The Salvation Army youth character development programs for youth. Recreation activities being developed in TSAO camps and corps include shooting sports.TSAO staff is being trained at the SCI Foundation American Wilderness Leadership School and AWLS staff has provided training to TSAO staff at Salvation Army facilities in the Midwest.SCI Chapters have conducted fundraisers and obtained youth grants from SCI Foundation in support of local SCI and TSAO partnerships.For more information contact Sue Hankner, Director of Education at 520-620-1220 ext. 294 or email@example.com.